India central bank relaxes rule for Basel III liquidity coverage ratio

The Reserve Bank of India relaxed Basel III-mandated liquidity coverage ratios for banks, allowing the sector to apply an additional one percentage point of the deposits they currently hold as government bonds under their statutory liquidity ratios (SLR).

Banks can now apply up to 11 percent of their deposit base held as SLR – or government securities that banks must hold with the RBI – from 10 percent earlier when calculating their liquidity coverage ratios to meet Basel III requirements, the RBI said in a statement on Thursday.

Liquidity coverage ratio is a capital measure mandated under Basel III norms requiring banks to maintain highly-liquid assets, including government securities, to meet any sudden short-term outflows.

 

RBI/2016-17/25
DBR.BP.BC.No.2/21.04.098/2016-17

July 21, 2016

All Scheduled Commercial Banks
(excluding RRBs)

Dear Sir,

Basel III Framework on Liquidity Standards – Liquidity Coverage Ratio (LCR), Liquidity Risk Monitoring Tools and LCR Disclosure Standards

Please refer to our circulars DBOD.BP.BC.No.120/21.04.098/2013-14 dated June 9, 2014, DBR.BP.BC.No.52/21.04.098/2014-15 dated November 28, 2014 and DBR.BP.BC.No.77/21.04.098/2015-16 dated February 11, 2016 on ‘Basel III Framework on Liquidity Standards – Liquidity Coverage Ratio (LCR), Liquidity Risk Monitoring Tools and LCR Disclosure Standards’.

2. Presently, the assets allowed as the Level 1 High Quality Liquid Assets (HQLAs) for the purpose of computing the LCR of banks, inter alia, include Government securities in excess of the minimum SLR requirement and, within the mandatory SLR requirement, Government securities to the extent allowed by RBI under Marginal Standing Facility (MSF) [presently 2 per cent of the bank’s NDTL] and under Facility to Avail Liquidity for Liquidity Coverage Ratio (FALLCR) [presently 8 per cent of the bank’s NDTL].

3. It has been decided that, in addition to the above-mentioned assets, banks will be permitted to reckon government securities held by them up to another 1 per cent of their NDTL under FALLCR within the mandatory SLR requirement as level 1 HQLA for the purpose of computing their LCR. Hence, the total carve-out from SLR available to banks would be 11 per cent of their NDTL. For this purpose, banks should continue to value such reckoned government securities within the mandatory SLR requirement at an amount no greater than their current market value (irrespective of the category of holding the security, i.e., HTM, AFS or HFT).

Yours faithfully,

(Ajay Kumar Choudhary)
Chief General Manager

Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/india-cenbank-lcr

IPOs of start-ups in India: Retail investors participation may get cleared

Retail investors might soon be allowed to participate in the initial public offerings (IPOs) of start-ups with the Securities and Exchange Board of India (Sebi) planning to scrap the Institutional Trading Platform (ITP) for these firms. The move comes after the platform failed to witness a single listing since it was launched last year.

Sources privy to the development said instead of providing an exclusive platform for start-ups, Sebi is now planning to allow start-ups to list on the regular platform. However, some relaxations would be provided  in terms of disclosures and compliance norms. Sebi is planning to amend both the Issue of Capital and Disclosure Requirements (ICDR) and Listing Obligations and Requirements (LODR) regulations, accordingly.

As per the regulations relating to Capital Raising and Listing on Institutional Trading Platform regulations for start- ups, only institutional investors and high-net worth individuals (HNIs) are allowed to trade on ITP and the minimum ticket size was `10 lakh. Retail investors were not allowed to invest in such issues as the markets regulator felt small investors should be safeguarded against a higher level of risks associated with the platform.

Several start-ups have expressed concerns about the liquidity on ITP. Further, not even a single company has filed for an IPO on the special platform till date. Hence, Sebi wanted to review the regulations and address the concerns raised by the start-ups,” said a member of Sebi Primary Markets Advisory Committee (PMAC).

Allowing start-ups to list on the regular platform would also address the concerns regarding the minimum institutional ownership clause in the regulations. As per the current regulations, to be eligible to raise funds via an IPO, 50% of the pre-issue capital of the company must be held by qualified institutional buyers (QIBs). In the case of e-commerce and technology start-ups, 25% of the pre-issue capital should be owned by institutional investors.

In August 2015, the regulator had announced a new set of listing regulations for start-ups operating in the e-commerce space in sectors such as information technology (IT), data analytics and biotechnology.The regulations provided several relaxations to start-ups keeping in mind the unique nature of the industry including removal of caps on the money spent by start-ups on publicity and advertisements as they need to spend much more for such purposes.

Infibeam, an e-commerce company that went for an IPO in the current calendar year, chose to list on the main board instead of the ITP. Although the company filed its draft prospectus with the regulator before the ITP was announced, the company had a choice to migrate, subsequently. According to investment bankers, the company didn’t choose ITP because of concerns about the platform.

 

Source:http://www.financialexpress.com/markets/indian-markets/ipos-of-start-ups-in-india-retail-investors-participation-may-get-cleared/323787/

Bandhan Bank reduces microfinance loan rate

Bandhan Bank on Monday reduced its lending rate for micro loans by 0.6 per cent, bringing down the interest to 19.9 from 20.5 per cent.

This is the third time the bank has reduced its interest rate for such consumers. Immediately after the microfinance institution transformed itself into a bank last August, it had slashed the rate by 1.4 percentage points or 140 basis points (bps), effectively reducing the rate to 21 per cent. In April this year, the rate was reduced by another 0.5 per cent or 50 bps for micro-small-scale sectors, making it 20.5 per cent.

With the latest round of lending rate reduction, Bandhan Bank has pared is micro loan rate by 2.5 percentage points or 250 bps in three stages in less than 11 months since it started operations as a universal bank.

Chandra Shekhar Ghosh, the bank’s chairman and managing director, said: “With the transformation of the micro-lending institution into a bank, the cost of funds has come down so we can afford to lower the interest rates. This reduction will benefit the micro-small scale industry who finds it tough to arrange for their funds.”

Since its launch, the bank has mobilised close to Rs 15,000 crore of deposits.

According to Ghosh, this will not only help attract more people opting for loans, but it will ease their financial burden as well. The cost impact on the bank is stated to be favourable with this decision.

Micro loans are generally granted for 1-2 years.

Currently, Bandhan Bank operates across 29 states and Union Territories through a network of 688 branches, 2,022 doorstep service centres and 237 ATMs with more than 8.77 million customers being served by a team of 21,000 employees. The Kolkata-headquartered bank’s savings bank account interest rate is six per cent for balances above Rs 1 lakh and 4.25 per cent for balances up to Rs 1 lakh. For term deposits, the maximum interest rate offered is 8.25 per cent for one to three years, with an additional 0.5 per cent for senior citizens.

Source: http://www.business-standard.com/article/finance/bandhan-bank-reduces-microfinance-loan-rate-116071800513_1.html

ADB trims developing Asia growth forecast; India on track

ADB today marginally cut economic growth projection for Asia and Pacific region for 2016, though India is likely to meet 7.4 per cent and 7.8 per cent growth forecast for this and the following year.

Asian Development Bank said it has cut its 2016 growth projection for developing economies in Asia and the Pacific to 5.6 per cent from earlier forecast of 5.7 per cent.

“South Asia, meanwhile is expected to be the fastest growing subregion, led by India, whose economy has shrugged off global headwinds and is on track to meet ADB’s March fiscal year 2016 (year to March 2017) projected growth target of 7.4 per cent, supported by brisk consumer spending and an uptick in the rural economy”, ADB said in a supplement to its Asian Development Outlook 2016 report.

“Although the Brexit vote has affected developing Asia’s currency and stock markets, its impact on the real economy in the short term is expected to be small,” said Shang-Jin Wei, ADB’s Chief Economist.

However, in light of the tepid growth prospects in the major industrial economies, policy makers should remain vigilant and be prepared to respond to external shocks to ensure growth in the region remains robust,” Wei said.

ADB said it now forecasts 2016 growth for the developing economies at 5.6 per cent, below its previous projection of 5.7 per cent. For 2017, growth is seen unchanged at 5.7 per cent.

Growth in 2016 and 2017 is led by South Asia, and India in particular, which continues to expand strongly, while China is on track to meet earlier growth projections, it said.

In Southeast Asia, growth projections for the subregion in the 2016 and 2017 remain unchanged at 4.5 per cent and 4.8 per cent, respectively with solid performances by most economies in the first half of 2016 driven by private consumption.

The exception was Vietnam where the economy came under pressure from a worsening drought that caused a contraction in the agriculture sector, it added.

ADB said growth in Asia and the Pacific’s developing economies for 2016 and 2017 will remain solid as firm performances from South Asia, East Asia and Southeast Asia help offset softness from the US economy, and near-term market shocks from the Brexit vote.

It has projected inflation for developing Asia at 2.8 per cent for 2016 and 3 per cent or 2017- a 0.3 percentage point rise for each year from the previous forecasts.

“The rise is largely due to a recovery in oil and food prices,” it added.

The Manila headquartered ADB is owned by 67 members – 48 from the region. In 2015, ADB assistance totalled $27.2 billion, including co-financing of $10.7 billion.

Source :
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/53263953.cms

Alternative Investment Funds coming to India

Markets regulator SEBI is learnt to be in process of creating a new category of Alternative Investment Funds(AIFs) to encourage long-term funds to use the AIF route to invest in the listed space.

 

Sources privy to the development said the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) will reclassify the existing category III into two groups – one comprising long-term funds like pension funds and the other consisting of hedge funds and other arbitrage funds who look to invest on a short-term basis.

 

Further, SEBI is also expected to consult the government in providing a ‘pass through’ status to the new category of AIF on par with Category I and Category II AIFs. According to legal experts, this categorisation would help the long-term overseas funds to receive a favourable tax treatment in the AIF space as currently they are taxed on par with arbitrage funds.

 

As per the current tax regulations, any investments made in listed companies which are held for more than 12 months are termed long-term investments, while others are called short-term investments. Capital gains tax is applicable only for short-term investments and investors needn’t pay any capital gains tax in case of long-term holding.

 

However, if a fund invests in the listed space through the AIF route, irrespective of the nature of holding, the investor would be taxed at uniform slab applicable for category III AIFs.

 

“Current SEBI AIF regulations are like one size fits all. Category III AIFs comprise several types of short-term and long-term funds and the purpose of each of them is different. However, the tax they are paying is the same. Long-term funds would rather take the direct route or would invest via P-notes instead of AIFs,” said a lawyer.

 

These measures are a part of efforts made by SEBI and union government to promote AIFs. During the union budget 2015, the government had provided pass-through status for Category I and Category II AIFs. Last November, the government had allowed foreign funds to invest in AIFs through the direct route.

 

In the last two years, inflows into AIFs have witnessed a significant increase. According to a SEBI data, cumulative funds raised via the AIFs as on March 31, 2016 was `22,691.18 crore — a fourfold increase compared to `5,847.5 in Q2FY15.

 

According to Jay Gandhi, Partner at Shardul Amarchand Mangaldas, the SEBI AIF regulations have found great traction in the market in a relatively short period of time. “The AIF regulations have permitted investment managers great flexibility in structuring various kind of fund structures targeted at specific segments of the investor community,” Gandhi said.

Source: http://www.financialexpress.com/markets/alternative-investment-funds-coming-india-heres-need-know/314881/

FIPB clears 6 FDI proposals worth Rs 180 crore

Inter-ministerial body FIPB today cleared six foreign direct investment proposals worth about Rs 180 crore.

 

The Foreign Investment Promotion Board has cleared six proposals including those of Janalaxami Finance and Turmeric Vision, a Finance Ministry official said.

 

The panel headed by Economic Affairs Secretary Shaktikanta Das had considered 15 proposals.

 

The official further said four investments proposals were rejected while decisions on five were deferred for want of more inputs.

 

India allows FDI in over 90 per cent sectors via automatic route. However, investment proposals in sensitive sectors like telecom and banking go through FIPB.

 

In last two years, the government has taken a series of reforms measures to liberalise FDI regime. Last month, it announced FDI liberalisation in nine sectors such as civil aviation, retail and private security services. This was the current government’s second round of relaxation in these rules.

 

During 2015-16, FDI into the country increased by 29 per cent to $40 billion from $30.93 billion in the previous fiscal.

 

Source : http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/53175869.cms

Brexit to hit eurozone growth, says IMF

The International Monetary Fund has cuts its economic growth forecasts for the eurozone in the wake of the UK’s vote to leave the European Union.

The eurozone is expected to grow by 1.6% this year and 1.4% in 2017. Before the referendum the IMF had predicted growth of 1.7% for both years.

The IMF also revised down its 2018 growth forecast to 1.6% from 1.7%.

It said medium-term growth prospects for the 19-member bloc were “mediocre” due to high unemployment and debt.

Mahmood Pradhan, deputy director of the IMF’s European Department, said the outlook could worsen if drawn-out negotiations between the UK and the EU led to a continuation of recent trends in financial markets – where investors have shunned riskier assets.

“If that risk aversion is prolonged, we think the growth impact could be larger and at this point, it is very difficult to tell how long that period lasts,” he said in a conference call.

The revised 2017 figure was the IMF’s “best case” scenario, assuming a deal was struck that allowed the UK to retain its access to the EU’s single market, Mr Pradhan said.

However, if the UK decided not to maintain close ties with the EU and chose to rely on World Trade Organization rules, there could be “major disruptions,” he said.

Mr Pradhan added it was “very, very early days to have any strong sense of confidence” about what the eventual relationship between the UK and EU would be.

In the medium-term, challenges such as high unemployment and persistent structural weaknesses in the euro area would continue to weigh on growth, the IMF said.

“As a result, growth five years ahead is expected to be about 1.5%, with headline inflation reaching only 1.7%,” the report said.

It also said that as the euro area was such a big player in world trade, any slowdown could have an impact on other economies, including emerging markets, but it expected this to be “limited”.

Source: http://www.bbc.com/news/business-36743862